As a Postdoctoral and/or J-1 Visa Recipient that is not eligible for “active” employee health insurance, you are eligible to participate in the medical and dental insurance plans available through the Public Employees’ Benefit Board (PEBB) on a self-pay basis. You are also eligible to participate in the student health insurance programs offered through OSU.
If your appointment is through OSU and is half-time or greater (.50 FTE) and is for at least 90-days, you may be eligible for the active employee benefits offered to our regular academic employees. Please contact your Department or Business Center if you are unsure of your appointment status.
Other Programs & Health Insurance Information:
- Postdoctoral Fellows and Scholars
- Are required to enroll in the mandatory health insurance program administered by OSU Student Health Services. For more information, please visit Student Health Services
- J-1 visitors and employees
- The PEBB plans do not fully meet the Department of State Requirements and must be supplemented with a medical evacuation and repatriation policy. Additional Information: Health Insurance for J Scholars
- Are eligible to participate in the OSU international student medical plans. J-1 visitors and employees are also required to purchase additional For more information, please visit the following websites:
Public Employees’ Benefit Board (PEBB) Coverage:
PEBB Health Insurance Program
PEBB Enrollment Timelines & Coverage Effective Dates
- You have 30 days from your appointment start date to enroll in these plans
- Your coverage will be effective on the first of the month after your application is received by BenefitHelp Solutions (Plan Administrator for the Self-Pay Plans).
- If you choose not to enroll within 30 days, you will be eligible to enroll in the plans again if:
- You have a Qualified Status Change (i.e., marriage, birth, loss of other coverage, etc.) – must enroll within 30 days of the qualifying event
- During Open Enrollment in October each year, with coverage effective January 1st. The plans may impose pre-existing conditions or waiting period limitations at this time.
PEBB Enrollment Form & Payment of Premiums
- Self-pay Enrollment Form
- Payments are due by the first of each month. Late payments will not be accepted.
- Mail the Enrollment form and payments directly to BenefitHelp Solutions at:
BenefitHelp Solutions (BHS)
PO Box 67240
Portland OR 97268-1240
- Enrollment and or Premium Payment
- BenefitHelp Solutions, 503.765.3581 or 800.556.3137
- Assistance with general questions on the medical plans offered or Qualified Status Changes. Please identify yourself as a “Self-Pay participant”
- OSU Employee Benefits, 541.737.2805
- Public Employees’ Benefit Board (PEBB), 503.373.1102