For a complete listing of all leaves and eligibility requirements (if applicable), please refer to the Leave Administration Policies, Procedures, Guidelines
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Parental or Family Medical Leaves
- Bereavement Leave
- Career Development Leave
- Educational Leave
- Jury Duty and Appearance as a Witness
- Pre-Retirement Counseling
- Vacation leave is available to 12-month employees with an appointment at .50 FTE or greater
- Employees are eligible for 15 hours per month with a 6-month waiting period for use
- Part-time staff at .50 FTE or more earn leave time on a pro rata basis
- Vacation leave accrual is capped at 260 hours
- Vacation usage is to be reported on a monthly basis by all employees
- Vacation Leave is payable upon termination of employment up to a maximum of 180 hours
- 9-month employees are not eligible for vacation leave
- Returning Retirees
- Vacation balance begins at zero
- Must serve new six month waiting period before use of vacation leave
- Unused vacation leave is not paid out upon termination
- Eligible employees will receive the following paid holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
- If employee is on leave without pay when the holiday occurs, the employee will not receive the paid holiday
- Hourly academic wage appointment employees do not receive paid holidays
Current Year Holiday Schedule
- Academic and professional employees accrue 8 hours of sick leave credit for each full month of service
- Part-time staff on .50 FTE or more earn pro rata credit
- Sick leave usage is recorded on a monthly basis
- Unused sick leave credits can be accumulated without limit
- Sick leave is not payable upon termination from OSU.
Tenured employees holding academic rank may be considered for sabbatical leave after being continuously employed in the Oregon University System at .50 FTE or more for six academic or fiscal years at the rank of Senior Instructor or above. The leave may not exceed one year and is to prepare faculty for greater service to OSU and to the state.
Parental or Family Medical Leaves
The Federal Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the State of Oregon Family Leave Act (OFLA) provide qualified employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per year for the birth or adoption of a child, to care for a seriously ill family member, for personal serious health conditions, and to care for a child with a non-serious health condition requiring home care (OFLA only). Within the 12-week time frame, classified employees use accrued paid leave (sick leave, vacation) before taking unpaid leave. On FMLA-qualifying leaves, OSU will continue to pay the employer-paid portion of OSU medical and dental premiums as long as the employees pay their own portion, if any.