For a complete listing of all leaves and eligibility requirements (if applicable), please refer to the Leave Administration Policies, Procedures, Guidelines
Parental or Family
Jury Duty and
Appearance as a Witness
- Vacation leave is available to 12-month employees with an appointment at .50 FTE or greater
- Vacation leave accrual begins upon hire and is available for use after the employee completes six (6) full months of service
- Full-time (1.0 FTE) 12-month employees accrue 15 hours of vacation leave per month
- Part-time (.50 FTE or greater) 12-month employees accrue vacation leave on a pro rata basis (e.g., .75 FTE x 15 hours = 11.25 hrs)
- Vacation leave accrual is awarded at the end of the calendar month or pay period
- Vacation leave is not available for use until the 1st of the month following the month or pay period in which it was earned
- Vacation leave accrual is capped at 260 hours
- Vacation usage is to be reported on a monthly basis by all employees on their timesheet
- Vacation Leave is payable upon termination of employment up to a maximum of 180 hours
- 9-month employees are not eligible for vacation leave
- Returning Retirees
- Vacation balance begins at zero
- Must serve new six month waiting period before use of vacation leave
- Unused vacation leave is not paid out upon termination
- Eligible employees will receive the following paid holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
- OSU Unclassified Special Day - An additional day of paid leave which is to be taken between the day before Thanksgiving and January 31st. The additional day is to be taken in a single block of time. If the employee is unable to be away from their duties to take the additional day of paid leave, they may use the paid leave prior to June 30, 2016. The employee must coordinate schedules with his/her supervisor to maintain regularly scheduled services. Temporary employees and contractors do not receive this additional day of paid leave.
- If employee is on leave without pay when the holiday occurs, the employee will not receive the paid holiday
- Hourly academic wage appointment employees do not receive paid holidays
Current Year Holiday Schedule
- Academic and professional employees accrue 8 hours of sick leave credit for each full month of service
- Part-time employees at .50 FTE or more accure sick leave on a pro rata basis
- Effective January 1, 2016: Part-time employees less than .50 FTE will earn sick leave on a pro rata basis
- Sick leave usage is recorded on a monthly basis
- Unused sick leave credits can be accumulated without limit
- Sick leave is not payable upon termination from OSU
Use of Sick Leave -
An unclassified employee who has earned sick leave must use his/her sick leave accrual for any period of absence from service that is due to the employee’s illness, injury, disability resulting from pregnancy, necessity for medical or dental care, exposure to contagious disease or attendance upon members of the employee’s immediate family (employee’s parents, spouse, children, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, son-in-law, daughter-in-law or another member of the immediate household) where the employee’s presence is required because of illness or death in the immediate family of the unclassified employee or the employee’s spouse. As an alternative, the employee may submit a request to be on sick leave without pay, upon approval of his or her dean, director or department head. The University may require a physician’s certificate to support the sick leave claim for any absence in excess of fifteen consecutive calendar days or for recurring sick leave use. The University may require a physician’s certificate before allowing the unclassified employee’s return to work to certify that the return would not be detrimental to the unclassified employee or to others.
Effective January 1, 2016 immediate family is expanded to include: Domestic Partner (same or opposite sex) and Grandchildren. The term Parent will include: custodial, non-custodial, adoptive, Foster, biological and step. The term child will include (biological, adopted, Foster, and step).
Tenured employees holding academic rank may be considered for sabbatical leave after being continuously employed in the Oregon University System at .50 FTE or more for six academic or fiscal years at the rank of Senior Instructor or above. The leave may not exceed one year and is to prepare faculty for greater service to OSU and to the state.
Parental or Family Medical Leaves
The Federal Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the State of Oregon Family Leave Act (OFLA) provide qualified employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per year for the birth or adoption of a child, to care for a seriously ill family member, for personal serious health conditions, and to care for a child with a non-serious health condition requiring home care (OFLA only). Within the 12-week time frame, classified employees use accrued paid leave (sick leave, vacation) before taking unpaid leave. On FMLA-qualifying leaves, OSU will continue to pay the employer-paid portion of OSU medical and dental premiums as long as the employees pay their own portion, if any.