PEBB Benefits – Summer Coverage
The University Human Resources (UHR) summer insurance process is an equitable and consistent administrative process that provides PEBB coverage during the summer months (June 16 - September 15) for academic year employees. Premiums for PEBB coverage are processed during the May payroll month. This process is known as the triple premium deduction process.
- Academic Year Employees are treated equitably and consistently by handling similar employment circumstances in the same manner as related to the summer insurance process.
- UHR receiving timely notice of employment status (such as an employee’s intended separation date) is critical for compliance with benefit processing, PEBB administrative rules, COBRA requirements and ensures an equitable process.
Process Assumptions for Summer Coverage:
Academic Year Employees in PEBB health insurance eligible positions for the full academic year will receive summer coverage. Collection of the summer premiums from employees are typically facilitated through the triple premium deduction process in May.
- Employees are expected to work their FTE from June 1st through June 15th in order to qualify for the July coverage month. Not working the required FTE may result in loss of eligibility for the July coverage month and a COBRA notification would be sent the employee. Employees in benefit protect leave status are not required to work a minimum FTE for summer coverage eligibility.
- Academic Year Employees that are terminating OSU employment or retiring, that are PEBB health insurance eligible during spring term will receive summer coverage if their termination date is in June, July, August, or September.
- Academic year employees, hired during spring term into PEBB health insurance eligible positions, who are expected to return for fall term, will receive summer coverage and will be included in the May triple premium deduction process.
- Academic year employees employed in PEBB health insurance eligible positions during fall and/or winter term(s) but who are NOT employed in a PEBB health insurance eligible position during spring term will not receive summer coverage.
Units with academic year employees employed in PEBB health insurance eligible positions during spring term who are not returning for fall term should notify the HR Service Center through the Employee Service Portal utilizing the Offboarding Request or via e-mail at [email protected] to initiate the termination process.
- Employment terminations for employees that are on term only contracts processed by April 29th will result in employees not going through the summer triple deduction process during May.
- Employment terminations for employees that are on term only contracts processed between April 30th and June 15th will have any necessary corrections to PEBB premiums processed during June payroll by the Employee Benefits Team.
- Employment terminations for employees that are on term only contracts processed after June 15th will result in summer insurance for the academic year employee.
- Academic year employees whose jobs are placed on leave for fall term are still active in Banner and so their benefits will continue for summer.
- Employees who are considered uncertain for fall term appointments will receive summer insurance.
- Terminating employees with deferred pay and academic year pay will both receive summer coverage regardless of when their termination date or retirement date is during the months of June, July, August, or September when employed for the full academic year.
- The summer insurance process allows more time for stakeholders to consider future employment decisions for fall term appointments by eliminating the need to notify the Employee Benefits Team of summer insurance requirements in early spring.