Insurance for Graduate Assistants through PacificSource

The Graduate Employee Health Plan through PacificSource includes platinum-level coverage for medical, dental, and vision services. Read the information below to learn more about eligibility, mandatory insurance, cost and coverage.

Forms & policy information

Cost of coverage

Per the Coalition of Graduate Employees (CGE) union bargaining agreement, Article 28, Oregon State University contributes 90% of the monthly premium for the employee and dependent coverage, plus 50% of the administration fee. The employee pays 10% of the monthly premium for themselves and dependent coverage, plus 50% of the administration fee.

The following amounts are your responsibility:

2021-2022 premiums*

  Employee only Employee + spouse/partner Employee  + child(ren) Employee + family Dental only (no OSU contribution)
Cost of coverage
(per month)
$53.79 $105.82 $90.20 $142.22 $51.32

* These rates are deducted pre-tax. Please also see the Summer Session insurance section below for required summer insurance prepay rates.

Frequently asked questions
  • Am I eligible?
    • Graduate Assistants with an appointment 0.30 to 0.49 FTE, who are represented by the Coalition of Graduate Employees (CGE) union, are eligible for this mandatory insurance benefit. Graduate Assistants who are not represented by the CGE union (such as Graduate Assistants who are part of an athletic coaching staff) are not eligible for this insurance benefit. Please call 541-737-7568 if you have questions.
  • How do I pay for it?
    • Premiums will be deducted from your paycheck monthly. Premiums are deducted in the same month for which you have coverage.
  • When will my insurance be effective?
    • Your insurance begin date is dependent on your position start date.
      • 1st – 15th of the month: Coverage starts the 1st of the same month
      • 16th – last day of the month: Coverage starts the 1st of the following month
    • Coverage will end the last day of the same month that your position ends.
  • What paperwork do I need to complete?
    • Graduate Assistants are automatically enrolled in employee-only coverage. You will only need to submit an enrollment form if you are enrolling dependents to your plan. Enrollment forms and waiver application forms are to be submitted to the OSU Office of Human Resources Graduate Benefits within 30 days of the start of your assistantship. A new waiver application is required each fall term to be submitted no later than October 1st. New enrollments or waivers are due any time you return from a break in your assistantship.
  • Can I enroll family members in this coverage?
    • Yes. Eligible dependents can be enrolled onto your plan:
      • Within the first 30 days of your position start date
      • During the fall term open enrollment period
      • Within 30 days of a qualifying life event.
        • Qualifying life events include: birth, marriage, permanent move to U.S., adoption, involuntary loss of other group coverage, etc.
    • Once enrolled, you may only remove your dependents from your plan during fall term open enrollment, or when a qualifying life event occurs. A qualifying event in this case could be: divorce/separation, dependent gains other health coverage, or dependent moves outside the U.S.
  • How do I get my insurance card?
    • Once you are active on your insurance plan you can access your temporary insurance card on the PacificSource webpage. PacificSource will mail a permanent card to your address on file with the university once your coverage begins. You can create an InTouch for Members account through the webpage to update your mailing address, access benefit summaries, claim statuses and explanation of benefits, deductible accumulators and more. This same information can be accessed by downloading the myPacificSource app on a mobile device.
  • How is PacificSource billed for my services at Student Health Services (SHS)?
    • You must provide Student Health Services with a copy of your health insurance card at the time of your visit for insurance to be billed. If you do not have a copy of your insurance card at the time of your visit, you must provide a copy to the Student Health Billing Office as soon as it is available to request billing. The OSU Student Health Billing Office will submit claims to the insurance company for services rendered at the Student Health Center on campus. The billing process may take four to six weeks before the insurance responds with an explanation of payment. If you have a balance after the insurance has responded, then the charges will be reflected on your OSU business account. Patients are responsible for paying charges on their student account.

If you have any questions regarding billing for services at the OSU Student Health Clinic please contact a billing specialist at 541-737-2068, or visit their office in Plageman Building Room 115.

  • How do I use my coverage outside of Student Health?

    • Refer to the list of Preferred Providers found online at the PacificSource website (choose plan network – Voyager). When you go to that provider for an appointment, present your insurance card. You can also call PacificSource Customer Service at 1-888-977-9299 for assistance.

  • What if I have other insurance?

    • If you have your own insurance plan, and the coverage is considered equal or superior to the PacificSource plan offered by OSU, then you may qualify for an approved waiver. You will need to submit the waiver application form, copy of insurance cards, and summary of benefits detailing your plan coverage to the OSU Office of Human Resources Graduate Benefits by the first of the month for which you are eligible (October 1st for fall term).You will be notified via email with a decision of waiver approval or denial.

  • How does insurance work during summer session?

    • Per the CGE bargaining agreement, Article 28, all Graduate Assistants with a position during at least one term of the academic year are to be automatically enrolled in the summer session insurance. Summer session insurance includes the same level of PacificSource Health coverage for July, August, and September as was held during the preceding academic year. The premiums are deducted over a course of 9 months between October and June, prior to summer session. No premiums are deducted in July, August, or September if premiums are prepaid during the academic year. The following amounts are the Graduate Assistant responsibility.

    • Summer 1/9 premium rates for 2021-22 plan year (per month)*:

      • Employee-Only - $17.93
      • Employee + Spouse/Partner - $35.27
      • Employee + Child(ren) - $30.07
      • Employee + Family – $47.41
      • * Deducted monthly post-tax.
      • You have the option to opt-out of summer coverage and be refunded the prepaid premiums if you do not have an assistantship during the summer term or are paid in a student hourly position during summer term. You are required to opt-out of the summer session insurance if you are graduating in terms prior to summer term, and/or will not return as a student in the Graduate School either summer or Fall term, as you are NOT eligible for summer session insurance. Deadline to Opt-Out is May 1st. No changes will be allowed after this deadline. Refunds will be processed in June payroll. *If your assistantship ends prior to spring term, please use the following deadlines to ensure your refund will process in your last paycheck: Fall term – Dec.1; Winter term – March 1.
  • Can I keep my coverage after my assistantship ends?

    • Once your position ends, you have the option of enrolling the COBRA continuation plan for up to 18 months as needed. COBRA is a continuation of the same coverage on PacificSource Health plans, however you will pay the full premium monthly directly to PacificSource Administrators. When your position ends, PacificSource Administrators will mail the COBRA election forms to you. To enroll, simply complete the forms and return to PacificSource Administrators with a payment.

    • More information regarding COBRA

  • Additional questions?