Human Resources Manual
If it becomes necessary for the University to close or curtail operations due to inclement weather or hazardous conditions, employees will be notified that they are not to report to work. Information regarding closures or curtailments will be distributed in the following manner:
1. The official time of closure will be posted on the University’s OSU Campus Alert website at http://alert.oregonstate.edu/. Announcements of closures or curtailments will typically also be noted on the OSU home web page, http://oregonstate.edu, with a headline linking readers to the OSU Campus Alert home web page.
2. Information will also be posted online via the FlashAlert Newswire at http://www.flashalert.net/. On the map, click on a city in the Willamette Valley, then “Public Colleges & Universities” and choose Oregon State University to see any current information or new announcements.
3. The OSU Department of Public Safety/Oregon State Police Emergency Status Information Phone provides current information about weather alerts and closures as well as campus emergencies. The recorded phone message will report the status of campus (open or closed) and information related to the emergency or closure situation. You may access this information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by dialing 541-737-8000.
4. In some cases, supervisors will call employees at home to inform them of closure or curtailment information.
5. The University will ask that announcements be made on the following radio and television stations and, where appropriate, their websites:
|KRKT - 990 AM/99.9||KBVR - 88.7 FM
KFLY - 101.5 FM
KLOO - 1340 AM/106.3 FM
|KPNW - 1120 AM
KUGN - 590 AM
KEZI TV Channel 9
KLCC - 89.7 FM
KMTR TV Channel 16
KVAL TV Channel 13
|FM KGAL - 1580 AM
KXPC - 103.7 FM
|KBZY - 1490 AM
KYKN - 1430 AM
|KEX - 1190 AM
KOPB - 91.5
KXL - 750 AM
KATU TV Channel 2
KGW TV Channel 8
KOIN TV Channel 6
The University will make every effort to announce a closure or curtailment decision before the start of the work day. The information will be distributed or posted by 6:30 a.m. The official closure time will be posted to the announcement located at http://alert.oregonstate.edu/. Unless otherwise informed, employees are to assume that the University is open and that they are to report to work.
Complete information regarding leave reporting and other resources are available here.
We encourage you to review and become familiar with this information at your earliest convenience.
As a reminder, only the President or his designee may close the University. On-campus departments may not cease operations and send employees home due to inclement weather or hazardous conditions unless the President has closed the University. Off-campus facilities should contact the Office of the Vice President for Finance and Administration to discuss the appropriateness of ceasing or curtailing operations at their location if they believe it is necessary.
Should you have questions, please contact Viki Dimick Jackson at 541-737-5355.