Your Career at OSU

Trial Service

If you are new to OSU, or if you have been promoted, you will be on "trial service" for your first six months of employment in your position or 1040 hours for less than full-time employees. In effect, this six-month period is an extension of the selection process. The trial service period gives you a chance to demonstrate your skills and abilities. If your trial service performance is not satisfactory, you may be dismissed at any time during the six-month period.

If your performance is satisfactory, you will gain regular status at the end of six months. The university will begin making contributions into your retirement fund, and you may request use of the vacation leave you have accrued.

Performance Evaluation

Evaluating your performance, achievements, and improvement areas should be a collaborative, on-going process between you and your supervisor. At the end of your trial service, and annually after that, your supervisor will prepare a written performance evaluation and discuss it with you. If desired, you may attach written comments to the evaluation. This written evaluation is also designed to recognize your achievements, and to help you develop and improve your future performance.

Staff Development Opportunities

Academic Studies

OSU faculty and staff working half-time or more are eligible to take classes at OSU or any other Oregon University System institution at a reduced tuition rate. This benefit may be transferred to an eligible family member. Some restrictions do apply. Information is available from the Employee Benefits section of University Human Resources (541-737-2916) or the Staff Fee Privilege web site.

Training Opportunities

The Training and Professional Development section of University Human Resources offers seminars and workshops to employees on a quarterly basis. Current course offerings, registration and other training opportunities are available online. Contact your supervisor regarding internal procedures for obtaining release time to attend workshops. Please contact Training and Professional Development at 541-737-3207 if you have specific questions.

Compensation Plan

Salary ranges for classified positions are determined through the collective bargaining process. They are published in the collective bargaining agreement and available online.

There are special types of additional pay that may apply to your position. Shift differentials, special duty pay, and other variations are explained in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement. Your supervisor or University Human Resources can explain which, if any, additional pay types apply to your position.

Salary Increases

New Employees

As a new classified employee, your first opportunity for a merit salary increase is at the end of a full year of service and after completion of a satisfactory performance evaluation. Annual merit increases are considered every year after that, depending upon your performance. Each annual salary increase moves you to the next salary step in the salary range for your position classification until you reach the top of your salary range. The increase is effective on the first of the month following your anniversary date.

Promoted Employees

Promoted classified employees receive an immediate one-step salary increase and, after successfully completing trial service, another one-step salary increase. The next increase comes one year later, subject to satisfactory performance. These increases are effective the first of the month following the action date.

Across the Board Increases

Other periodic "across the board" salary adjustments may be provided to employees, according to the collective bargaining agreement.


Your supervisor may request reclassification of your position if changes in your duties and responsibilities suggest the classification of your present position is inappropriate. This request must be made in writing to University Human Resources. The request must include an up-to-date position description and an explanation of why the proposed new classification is appropriate. As a classified employee, you may make a direct reclassification request to University Human Resources. Upon receipt of a request, a representative from OHR will contact your supervisor to set up a reclassification review of your position. You may request help with this process from your union representative, if desired, or from University Human Resources (541-737-3103).

Employment Opportunities

Employment opportunities at OSU can be found online through the University Human Resources website.


You may request a lateral transfer from one position to another position in your same classification. You may also apply for a lateral transfer to another classification at your current salary range, provided you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification. For specific procedures, visit University Human Resources job opportunities site or contact University Human Resources (541-737-3103).


Announcements informing you of promotional opportunities are available online as position vacancies occur, or when a general recruitment is done to form a wider applicant pool. If interested in a promotion, complete and submit an OSU application form as directed on the recruiting announcement.

Employee Recognition Programs

Exemplary Employee Award: Annual nominations for this prestigious achievement award are reviewed by an employee committee and the award is presented during a special ceremony.

Charter Day Awards: "Charter Day" is an annual OSU tradition. Employees with 10, 15, 20, etc. years of service are recognized for their contribution to the University.

25 Year Club Award: Founded in 1967, the 25 Year Club annually recognizes University employees with 25 or more years of service.

Campus Organizations

There are numerous committees and organizations at OSU dedicated to the professional growth and advancement of employees. Three of the most notable groups include:

Your active participation in campus organizations is encouraged.

Disciplinary Actions

An employee whose work performance does not meet minimum standards, or whose habits and behavior hinder effective operation of University functions may be subject to disciplinary action. The severity of this action depends on the seriousness of the offense. Forms of discipline may include verbal or written reprimands, denial of an annual performance pay increase, reduction in pay, demotion, suspension with or without pay, and dismissal. Classified employees who have been disciplined have appeal rights, listed in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement. You may also contact University Human Resources or your union steward for assistance.

Concerns or Grievances

You are encouraged to contact University Human Resources on any matter that affects your employment with OSU. Complaints of discrimination based on protected class category, such as race or sex, may be referred to Equal Opportunity & Access. Potential problems or grievances can often be resolved without a formal grievance being filed. If your visit will take you away from your job during regular working hours, you will need to make advance arrangements for your absence with your supervisor.

If you have a complaint or grievance about your job, arrange a conference with your supervisor at the earliest possible time to discuss the problem. If this does not resolve the situation, you may proceed to the next step in the grievance procedure, as described in your collective bargaining agreement at:

In pursuing a grievance, you may be assisted by a union representative. Grievance records are not kept in your personnel file.

Your Personnel File

An official university personnel file is maintained for each employee. These records are maintained electronically. Upon reasonable notice to University Human Resources Center for HR Systems and Technology section (541-737-8300), you may inspect your file records. No information reflecting critically upon you (except notices of discharge) is placed in your file without your signature. You may prepare written explanations about any critical material in your file. You may also include a reasonable amount of relevant material such as letters of commendation. Your supervisor may also maintain a supervisory file.

Name and Address Changes

Please notify your supervisor immediately if you change your name or address. Timely notification will keep your personnel and payroll records up to date.

You may change your mailing address via the Online Services Employee Dashboard in MyOregonState.