Resources for Transgender & Gender Diverse Employees

Resources for Transgender & Gender Diverse Employees

We are committed to providing support for transgender, non-binary, gender non-conforming, gender fluid, and intersex students, faculty, staff and community members.

Gender-inclusive restrooms on campus

Click the legend icon (box with an arrow on the far left) to see all gender-inclusive restrooms on campus.

Please note: If you are accessing this map on a mobile device, you must have the Google Maps app installed in order to open the fullscreen version of the map.

Updating Your Personal Information

How to Change the Way Your Name is Displayed in the OSU Directory

You may change how your name is displayed in the directory and across many OSU systems. Four pre-defined formats are available for you to choose from, including one without your middle name.  To use the new display name format tool:

  1. Go to the ONID webpage
  2. Click “Login to ONID” from the left menu and Login using ONID username and password
  3. Click “Profile” from the left menu
  4. Select the preferred name format and click the “Set Name Format” button

It can take 15 minutes or more for the change to propagate through all of the systems for display.

Request use of a Preferred Name

The name on your social security card will be used as your preferred name, unless you specify otherwise. If you would like to use a name that is different than your name as it appears on your social security card, you may make this request by completing the Employee Name Change form.

  1. Check the "Display name change only (your name as it should appear in the OSU directory)"
  2. Fill out the first line, Your new name as it should appear in the OSU directory, and your OSU ID? number
  3. Print and sign the form
  4. Send it to HR Support Services.

Request Legal Name Change

If you are an active employee (faculty, staff, or student), federal regulations require employers to validate that the employee's name on record exactly matches the name which appears on the individual's social security card to ensure proper tax reporting.

If you have not requested a change of name with the Social Security Administration, please apply for a new social security card with the nearest Social Security Administration Office. (Note: You will need to bring an original legal document reflecting your new name to support your request for the name change. Examples of accepted legal documents include a birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree, etc.) For additional information on how to apply for, replace, correct, or change your name on your social security card, visit Social Security Online.

Thus, in order to reflect your name change on your personnel and payroll records, you must present your social security card reflecting your new name to HR Support Services. At that time you will be asked to complete an Employee Name Change form. Completing the Employee Name Change form ahead of time and bringing it with you to HR Support Services with your social security card will save time. (If you work off campus and are unable to visit HR Support Services in person, contact HR Support Services staff for another option. They may be able to make other arrangements to complete this process.) For individuals on active unpaid appointments (Courtesy, Postdoctoral Fellows, Graduate Fellows, or Emeritus faculty), you will be asked to show your photo ID along with your Employee Name Change form in order to verify your name change.  

If your tax withholding is changing, you may want to update your W-4 for tax withholding at this time with the Payroll Office. Use your ONID username and password to log in to MyOregonState, then go to the W-4 Tax Exemptions/Allowances page available from the Employee Information menu via Online Services.

Gender Identity Reporting (update to My Profile)

With the implementation of OR Senate Bill 473, faculty, staff and students may voluntarily report their gender identity as part of their demographic information; the ability to report sexual identity information is forthcoming. Additionally, all have the ability to report their gender identity and/or pronoun in OSU information systems. Note, however, that pronouns do not yet display in any administrative systems or directories. At this time, the information will be available for reporting purposes only.

  1. Log in to OSU Employee Online Services
  2. Select the “Personal Information” tab
  3. Select “My Profile”
  4. Click on the “Personal Information” box
  5. In the “Personal Details” box, click “Edit” 
  6. You may then select a Personal Pronoun and Gender Identification value from the provided drop-down lists
  7. When finished, click “Update”